Wow, this new craze of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint has hit the blogger community like the virus from I Am Legend. It seems everyone has been painting furniture and their first born, for a go with this paint. I expect that $40.00 for a quart of paint would have been a deterrent to most, but not so......guess just a handful of us are the cheapies. Well maybe more than a handful, maybe two hands full. I found a recipe from HERE! I was going to make this but
I was too lazy to have a shower I didn't have a trip to town planned to pick up the ingredients. But I figured I would make like a whitewash recipe of my own. Rule # 1.....If it's too expensive, make it!! My mom used to use milk and slaked lime to paint the walls in the chicken coop. I used to use water and slaked lime to do mine as I didn't have goats like we had when we were kids.. Anyways it sure made the chicken coop all shiny and white. So this is what I came up with for my version of chalk paint:.
My Version of Homemade Chalk Paint
1 part slaked lime
3 parts acrylic latex paint
This batch was really lumpy but it was an experiment.
I painted a piece of wood that was salvaged from a renovation of our 100 year old home. After removing the million and one nails.......I vacuumed it off to clean it.
I took it out to the garage the next day, and sanded to distress it. Also, I had to clean up all the potential slivers because I was too excited to try out my chalk paint. I should have sanded the board first.
I had purchased a inspirational vinyl quotes awhile back and transferred it on to the wood.
Next step was to buy some Annie Sloan wax.....no this can't happen.... cuz: see Rule #1, and if you remember, I was too lazy to have a shower. I found carnauba and beeswax from our stash of waxes but I also had some antique medium that I purchased years ago from a liquidation place.
I grabbed an old t-shirt rag and started to rub the carnauba wax with a bit of antique medium into the area that I had sanded. Then I just started to rub the wax all over. I think next time I will use some burnt umber oil paint mixed with the carnauba for a nicer antique effect. Not too fond of the color of the antique medium so I didn't use too much of it.
I love, that the lines from the saw which originally cut this board over 100 years ago, are still there. I didn't want to lose that.
I will put that on my shopping list for when I do my porch dresser. I must say that this paint recipe worked fairly well for me. I am pretty hopeful that it will work for my porch dresser.
Anyways, here is the finished board. I am quite happy with it.