Friday, November 20, 2015

A Special Birthday Gift

My crazy talented blog buddy created an amazing work of art for Mr. FT's birthday.
Being a "special" birthday, I wanted something that
would be unique and memorable.
to the rescue. 
I ran a few personalized ideas by her and she did the rest...EVERYTHING, PERFECTLY!

This is what Mr. FT calls his home brewery.  He's a craft beer maker!

This is the pillow Heather created for me!!

She had the pillow crafted two months early! 
 I think it took her two weeks to complete and send.

Me on the other hand, took three months to get this post written up.
So here we are, five months later!

But in my defense, to write this post, I had to do a temporary fix on my
 never ending project, the ghetto bedroom.

I know what you are thinking,

A quick paint job for Mr. FT'S bedside table. 
 A bit of white glue and flat latex paint over the original brown paint.

More Excuses.

 An aged finish using white glue and flat latex paint.
No fancy crackle paint used and
Sorry Annie Sloan, no chalk paint used here either.
The headboard.

 One last excuse, this nasty wall.
This is a picture from a previous post which you can read all about here
Had to add a bit of paint for a temporary fix.

Our matching pillows...priceless!

Check her out!!! and thank you Heather!!!

He loved it.  I think I even spotted a tear.
BTW what does special birthday mean? Old or young?
I guess it's from which end of the age spectrum you're looking from.

 For the finale.....go and check out my nieces latest creation.
  She built this fantastic loft bed for her daughter!

 It only cost her $52.00 Canadian dollars.
 I think that's about 63 cents U.S. 

 It's amazing.
You can find the link here:

Shhhh.  Don't tell her i showed you but here's a sneak peak of the start of the bed.


Thursday, October 15, 2015

Halloween Paint Tips

Painting tips 101

Sidewalks make a nice pit stop to clean the excess paint from your brush

 With the rough surface of a concrete sidewalk, stroke your brush up and down and side to side.
This will ensure that most of the paint is removed from your brush prior to hitting the sink.

Sometimes accidents happen.  
You will need to wipe your hands on the hard concrete, taking advantage of that rough surface again.
Bleach and water won't work and remember, those UV lights can get right into the sewers.
Weather is your best friend.  Acid rain will wash away all the evidence  anything. 

Continue until most of the "paint" is off your hand
Sometimes the sides of the blocks are a little rougher, kinda like a pumice stone.  It will leave your hands feeling baby soft.

And that my friends, is how you clean up after a messy "painting" session!


Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Grape Chili Jelly

Welcome to our Zone 3 Vineyard where we are world renowned for our
 famous wines and jellies!

Come tour all THREE of our grapevines!
That's 3.

This looks all good and dandy but I have to confess that this contraption, which works great for tomatoes, sucks for grapes.  It clogged up so badly that  I ended up throwing the whole works in a pot,

 shoved my foot in there and stomped

 I got out my stick mixer and just blended it all up, hung the mess in cheesecloth and strained.

If you like heat, you might like this jelly.
I followed the pectin grape jelly recipe from the box, except I wrapped some chili's from my garden in cheesecloth

 and boiled the bejeebers out of it.

  When that wasn't hot enough, I put in a pinch of chili powder...
and by a pinch, I mean a teaspoon.

4 cups grape juice
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 box pectin
1 tsp citric acid
1 tsp chili powder
Boil pectin and grape juice for 1 minute
add sugar, chili powder and citric acid and boil hard for one more minute.
Pour into sterilized jars.

I processed them in a water bath for ten minutes 

And if the jelly wasn't hot enough, I foolishly ate a pepper......YIKES!
Feel sorry for me tomorrow. 


Linking up with
Katherine's Corner

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

An Ikea Hack with Besta Units Part Two

As our saga continues, the Boss, being happy with the job thus far, wanted to sit on the bench with no worries of diaper leaks, which could lead to blackmailing evidence in her teen years.
You don't know our family!
You can see part one HERE.

  This was a job for her Crony.  Being a master with a brush, she expertly applied her stain and sealer in one. 

After numerous coats, Crony was delighted with the results.
The last part of this project was to build a door for the center unit to hide the power bar from little fingers.  With a few scraps of wood and some leftover beadboard from my master bedroom makeover,  I was able to create this door!

Crony painted her new door white to match the rest of the bench.

Power bar tucks neatly inside and latch holds door closed. 
 Crony did an excellent job with the installation!

The boss was drinking her face off
at the Mommy Bar (not shown), demanding
a new table that she could dance on.
I wanted no part of this so I STOLE these next pictures, 
watermarked them and claimed them as my own.
Hopefully Crony doesn't shut this blog down.

I figured I would take my chances as I think
Crony has her hands full with her little 

The Before Pics of her $20 table!

The During Pics

The All Done Pics!

The Boss fits for now, but Crony has decided to purchase some chairs for the 
little milk-o-holic as she won't be in her prison chair for too much longer.

But that will be for another day, another dealfind,
and another picture hijack from Feral Turtle!
I'm pretty sure I have another 17 1/4 years to 
find good pictures on Cronys camera as she will be quite occupied!

The Boss has been dancing non stop but I couldn't show you those
 pictures cuz, um, well she had a bit too much at the Mommy Bar,
 and forgot her nappy....No one wants to see that, 
but you will wanna see this!

Good Job LouLou Belle!!