Saturday, August 23, 2014

Canned Mango Salsa

Mango Salsa
3 Red Mangoes
3 Red Pepper
2 large Oranges peeled
1 Sweet onion
2-3 Jalapenos
2 green onions
1/3 to 1/2 cup lime juice
1 TBSP Amchur (Green Mango Powder)
1 TBSP grated ginger (optional)
salt to taste

Dice all ingredients and mix.  Add lime juice.
I found it to be very liquid, but no worries as it thickened in the canning process.
I sterilized 5 pint jars and lids.
  Each jar was filled to 1/2 below the top, except the fifth jar. It was only 3/4 full so it went in the fridge and was consumed in about three minutes.
Then I felt like that guy that saw a double rainbow on YouTube a few years ago.
Crazy guy.

Dropped them in the water bath and processed them for thirty minutes.
Hopefully this prevents any botulism from happening, 

 I will let someone else do a taste
 test before I dare dip my chip in there.
  Kinda the way royalty had tasters and that's why,
 It's salsa for a queen!


Friday, August 15, 2014

Hollow Core Door Hangers

A hanger for a hollow door can be a real challenge.  You can buy the "hang over the door" models which scratch the bejeebers out of your finish, or you can risk a cup hook screwed into a thin veneer, and store your flyswatter on it.

  In my master bedroom makeover, I have two doors.  A new door and an old door.  Not wanting to rip the old door out and replace it with a new one, I decided to put moldings on it to mimic the new one.

After two more coats of paint,
 I was still left with a flimsy hollow core door. 
 Note the two holes drilled in the door in the above picture.
They go right through to the other side of the door.
I went to my old stash of wood and after a few slivers, scrounged these.

 I drilled some clearance holes in the barn board for nuts and washers so the heads would be below the surface.  Some white molding was added to the top and bottom of the barn board to mimic my door and window trims.

  Hooks were attached to the barn board.  I used a scrap piece of molding to set the hooks at the same height from the top.

 I placed a barn board hook assembly on each side of the door.  A bolt with a washer was put through both and secured with a washer and nut on the other side of the door.  The above door picture is the bolt side and the below picture is the nut side Note only one side of the door has molding on it.  The other side is my closet/ laundry room. 

Now to cover the unsightly bolt heads and nuts....
 I scrounged some old wooden door knobs and cut off the necks,
 put them in a box to spray them
silver!  A few coats were needed.

 Pulled out my trusty glue gun and hot glued those babies right over the fasteners.
I now have a place for all those designer work clothes to hang!


Thursday, August 7, 2014

Faux Concrete Countertop

 I have been working on this area for two years now.  (Turtle)
 I built this little cupboard to sit in between my washer and dryer, which is the center support for my counter.  Nothing is nailed down!  If I ever have to pull either appliance out, the whole assembly comes apart.
I used some scrap OSB from my stash as  I didn't want to buy any plywood for this job
  I was ninety nine percent sure this would be a fail!
Two layers of OSB were used  and I added a front strip with glue and brads,
 to hide the edges and also form an overhang.
Thinset mixed to manufactures specs.

 Spread it on evenly with a trowel.  If you close one eye, cock your head slightly, and punch yourself in the open eye, it's pretty even! 

When it dried, I sanded the ridges down and added another coat.

I sealed the piece with a few coats of water based Varathane.  Brackets were mounted on both side walls.  The counter sits on top of these brackets and also on top of the center cupboard.
And here she is, my favorite room in the house.....just kidding.
*If I do this again I will use plywood.*

The laundry room walls will be getting the same treatment as
  the master bedroom. which you can see here at Ghetto Inn....if you dare!

Click Here and  you can see the completed barnboard  
  K.  She found her way to the laundry room countertop
 after she fell from a wall shelf and she's still intact!
I can't say this would be strong enough to use in a kitchen, but I am pretty certain it will hold up to some heavy duty laundry folding!