Monday, March 26, 2012

Cutting Board Storage

 We use a lot of cutting boards.  In we, I mean my Cooking Man.  Not much of a lover of the art of cooking.  I like it as much as a trip to the dentist.  Always a necessity but a real pain.  Actually, I am lucky enough to have a Cooking Man.  You can probably buy your own on Ebay, but they are not cheap.  Bids happen fast and if you aren't sitting by your computer at the end of the auction, they will slip right through your fingers.  I was lucky!  I got mine for a song. 
 Okay, so you really can't buy a Cooking Man, but I bet they would be the most popular item on Ebay or Etsy.
I do enjoy to build though.  This was a quick little project, but necessary.  Our cutting boards were leaning up against the vent on the microwave. Here's my solution:

Vent needs to be clear of cutting boards.

I measured depth and height of opening.

I grabbed my roll of oak edge to laminate my melamnie board.

Heat up a household iron.

Iron it on and let it sit to cool.  Sand edges flush and apply stain.

Install board using long finishing nails.

Insert cutting boards and go to Ebay to get your own Cooking Man.


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Pretty Junk Box

I've been hoarding saving these wine kit boxes for storage.  I really needed to dress them up as people are starting to call me the crazy box lady.  Not a title that one can be proud of.  I'd be flattered if someone were to call me super bendy or amazing juggler of fire balls, but I know that's a pipe dream.  But, if I look
 "matchy matchy" with pretty fabric boxes, well, maybe I could be called organized.

I have two more boxes to cover.  I think I might cover them with some of my window bling fabric.  
You can see that here!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Window Bling

Time for some Spring Bling.  Just looking out the windows this morning at a winter wonderland.  Nice scene, until you pull the shovel out and wonder when your poor hearts gonna give out!  Well to put a positive spin on this pretty ominous day, we needed to pizazz with some color jazz.  Actually when the weather was beautiful, I was inside sewing.  What's wrong with this picture?

Hopefully these pictures paint a brighter day:

I measured my windows and added 1/2 " seam allowance.   Marked out my fabric with my chalk marker.  Notice I laid this out on the fold.    This fabric was a buck a meter!

This is the style I wanted.

Four windows = eight pieces.

Wanted to put some coordinating trim on the edges of the valance.  I also inserted a tassel at the center point.

I cut strips of a coordinating fabric and sewed them together to insert my welting.

Trim is ready to use.

I put my fabric right sides together with trim and tassel inside.

Sewed all the layers together!

Turned right side out....and voila!

All three done for the bigger windows.  One left to make for the smaller window.

I originally stapled my valance to a trim board cut to the width of my window frame.  When I dry fitted into place, I realized that the trim piece was visible....duh!

I covered the trim piece with some fabric.

I used some double sided tape to hold in place.  I must confess I only used this for one as the fit was tight enough to hold them in place while I tacked them up.

First window.

Second window

Third window.

This is how I installed them.

A look from underneath.

I used two finishing nails to install the valances.

All three big windows done!

Small window complete.

That's my Window Bling.